Dritan Topuzi Ph.D., P.Eng., PMP, LEED AP BD+C
Our Associates perform on-site investigations to determine origin and cause of complex losses. Their process: examine and collect evidence, take on-site photos, interview witnesses, conduct testing in our lab and analyze data to produce technical reports that are clear and concise.
SPECIALIZED PROFESSIONAL COMPETENCIES
• Structural Engineering
• Project and Product Management
• Construction Management and Contract Administration
• Design Codes, including CSA, NBCC, OBC, ACI, AASHTO, Eurocodes, DIN
• Engineering Software, including SAP2000, ETABS, SAFE, STAAD Pro., RSA, Abaqus, OpenSees, AutoCAD
• Business Development
• Research and Teaching
Doctorate in Structural Engineering, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, ON, 2015
Master of Civil Engineering, Norwich University, VT, USA, 2007
B.Sc. in Structural Engineering, Polytechnic University of Tirana, Albania, 2001
-30- Forensic Engineering
August 2017 – Present, Toronto, ON
• Building Systems and Structural Failure Analysis
• Construction assessments, including costing and deficiencies
• Building Code and Design Assessments
March 2017 – Present, Vermont, U.S.A.
• Teaching in the Master of Civil Engineering Program
Lead Structural Engineer and Founding Principal
May 2016 – Present, Toronto ON
• Civil Structural Engineering
• Business Development
Fiberline Composites Canada (Formerly Shoeck Canada)
July 2011 – Present, Kitchener ON
• Design of GFRP reinforced concrete structures; FRP structural profiles; structural thermal break Isokorb®; punching shear reinforcement; site supervision; technical support; research; product development; business development, etc.
Pedelta Canada Inc.
Principal—Bridges and Structures
February 2014 – November 2014, Toronto ON
• Structural Engineering;
• Contract Administration (Highway 407);
• Business Development
University of Waterloo
September 2008 – August 2011, Waterloo ON
• Conducted research regarding “Large Scale Testing and Modelling of Reinforced Concrete Flat Plate Systems in Seismic Areas”
Obermeyer Planen+Beraten GmbH
August 2005 – August 2008, Tirana, Albania
• Monitoring Design and Construction works, Tirana International Airport Project
• Acted as local representative of the company in Albania
Spekter Consultants Ltd.
July 2002 – August 2008, Tirana, Albania
• Management, design and supervision of various construction projects
DIWI Germany GmbH
April 2005 – August 2005, Tirana, Albania
• Supervisor of design and construction, Tirana International Airport Project
Ministry of Education and Science
February 2003 – October 2004, Tirana, Albania
• Contract administration of the rehabilitation of 44 schools (a World Bank Project)
December 2001 – November 2002, Tirana, Albania
• Structural analysis/design and site supervision
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
• Canadian Standards Association (CSA), Member of S806, S807 and S06-16 Committees
• American Concrete Institute (ACI), Member of 421, 440 and 445 Committees
• Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO), Member
• Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of BC, Member
• Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta, Member
• Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec, Member
• Project Management Institute, Project Management Professional (PMP)
• Green Building Certification Institute, LEED AP BD+C
• “Seismic Performance of GFRP Reinforced Concrete Frames” – IABSE Conference, Vancouver, 2017. D.Topuzi, M. A. Polak - Abstract accepted.
• “A new technique for the seismic retrofit of slab-column connections” – ACI Structural Journal. Topuzi D., Polak M. A., Narasimhan S. Paper accepted; not published yet.
• “Seismic retrofit of concrete slabs against punching shear: testing and modeling” – Joint ACI-fib International Symposium on Punching Shear of Structural Concrete Slabs, ACI Convention, Philadelphia, PA, USA, 2016. Topuzi D., Polak M. A., Narasimhan S. Special Publication in Process.
• “Use of GFRP reinforcement for the predetermination of potential plastic hinges on reinforced concrete frames” - International Conference on Advanced Composite Materials in Bridges and Structures, Vancouver, BC, Canada, 2016. Topuzi D., Polak M. A.
• “Pedestrian Bridges made of structural GFRP profiles” - International Conference on Advanced Composite Materials in Bridges and Structure, Vancouver, BC, Canada, 2016. Sobrino J. A., Jordan J., Topuzi D., Pasfall J.
• “Bridges built with advanced materials” - International Conference on Short and Medium Span Bridges Calgary, AB, Canada, 2014. Sobrino J. A., Jordan J., Topuzi D.
• “Recent developments of GFRP bent bars and applicable testing methods” - International Conference on Short and Medium Span Bridges Calgary, AB, Canada, 2014. Weber A., Topuzi D.
• “Nonlinear modelling of reinforced concrete slab-column connections” – Canadian Society of Civil Engineering Conference, Montreal, QC, Canada, 2013. Topuzi D., Polak M. A., Narasimhan S.
• “Short term and long term properties of newly developed bent GFRP reinforcing bars” - Canadian Society of Civil Engineering Conference, Montreal, QC, Canada, 2013. Weber A., Topuzi D.
• “Nonlinear analysis of slab-columns building systems under seismic loads” – ACI Convention, Minneapolis, MN, USA, 2013. Topuzi D., Polak M. A., Narasimhan S.
• Fluent in English, French, Italian and Albanian
• Working knowledge of German
NEWS / INSIGHTS / EVENTS