Paul Okrutny B.Eng. & Soc., M.Sc., P.Eng.
Our Associates perform on-site investigations to determine origin and cause of complex losses. Their process: examine and collect evidence, take on-site photos, interview witnesses, conduct testing in our lab and analyze data to produce technical reports that are clear and concise.
Paul is a materials/mechanical expert at -30- Forensic Engineering, who specializes in the assessment of metallurgical and mechanical failures. During his tenure at -30-, Paul has investigated over 400 failures dealing with building mechanical systems (plumbing, HVAC, fuel oil supply and fire protection). Other projects have included material defects and material characterization. Paul has been published in international scientific journals, taught undergraduate courses in material engineering and has presented his research and forensic results at provincial, national and international meetings. Paul volunteers his time to committees that help upgrade engineering codes and regulations and uses his forensic engineering findings to prevent future failure. Paul serves as the chair of the Ontario Chapter of the American Society of Materials, which is an internationally recognized center of Materials Engineering. Paul has been involved with ASM Ontario for numerous years.
SPECIALIZED PROFESSIONAL COMPETENCIES
- Mechanical Failure Analysis
- Residential and Commercial Sprinkler System Failure Analysis
- Supply and Drainage Pipe Failures
- Fuel Oil Tanks and Applicable Fuel Oil Codes
- Analysis of Welded, Brazed or Soldered Joints
- Fractography and Fracture Surface Analysis
- Glass/Ceramic Fractures
- Material Characterization and Identification
- Metallurgical Analysis of Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of Materials
- Corrosion Characterization and Assessment
- Scanning Electron Microscopy and Energy Dispersive X-Ray Analysis
- Optical, Stereo and Transmission Electron Microscopy
- Inductively Coupled Plasma (Elemental analysis of bulk liquids)
- Glow Discharge Optical Spectroscopy (Elemental analysis of bulk solids)
Masters in Materials Engineering, McMaster University, 2010
Bachelor of Engineering and Society, McMaster University, 2008
- Fire Protection Systems and Device Training, 2015
- ASTM - Major Testing Techniques for Plastics, 2011
- Boom Lift Training, 2011
- Fall Arrest Training, 2011
- Emergency First Aid, 2011
- Toastmasters Public Speaking Course, 2011
-30- Forensic Engineering
Senior Associate—Material Failures
March 2017 – Present, Toronto, ON
- Product failure investigations
- Residential and commercial sprinkler systems
- Cases involving plumbing failures
- Welding, soldering and brazing failure investigations
- Industrial equipment failure investigations
- Investigating glass fractures and failure modes
- Cases involving the characterization and/or identification of materials
Intermediate Associate—Material Failures
April 2010 – March 2017, Toronto, ON
2014 – Present, Ontario, Canada
ASM International was founded in 1913 as the American Society for Metals. Today, ASM is the world's largest association of metals-focused materials scientists and engineers with over 30,000 members worldwide. ASM Ontario is a local chapter of ASM International serving primarily the Ontario based scientists, engineers and businesses within the industry. ASM Ontario serves as a local resource that gathers the latest applied information from the field and disseminates it back to industry, academia, and government.
Lecturer and Teaching Assistant
2004 – Present, Hamilton, ON
- Lecturing to both large and small audiences (20 to 180 people)
- Teaching both university degree programs and after school adult education programs.
- Lecturing and lab work on the following subjects:
- Materials Science and Engineering
- Materials Testing, Microstructure Analysis and Preparation
- Communication and Management
- Engineering Report, Design and Communication skills
- Computer Programming for Engineers
Property Management including Design & Construction, Self Business
2003 – 2010, Hamilton, ON
- Analysing the integrity, worth and payback of rental properties within the Hamilton Region
- Performing construction and development of:
- Bedrooms, kitchens and bathrooms including plumbing and electrical
- Heating and cooling systems
- Roof and attic restoration, leak investigations and foundation repair
Furi Enterprises Inc.
Chief Operating Officer
September 2008 – August 2010, Hamilton
- Combining self-taught computer skills and engineering communication background to perform:
- Technology Consulting, IT Development , Software Development, Training, Technical Support, Human Resources
Initiative for Automotive Manufacturing Innovation, McMaster University
May 2007 – September 2007, Hamilton
- Performed and designed experiments to further understand microstructural behaviour in magnesium alloys during room temperature deformation.
- Performed in-situ tensile testing within the ESEM chamber
Polymer Research Group, McMaster
May 2005 – September 2005 and May 2006 – September 2007, Hamilton, ON
- Performed experiments to analyze the effect of catalysts in Atom Transfer Radical Polymerization for various polymers (plastics). Analysis was performed using:
- Nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR), Oxygen sensitive experiments, Copper solubility testing, ICP Elemental analysis
Blue Ocean Pools & Spa
Installation and Warehouse Maintenance
April 2003 – September 2003, Welland, ON
- Assisting with both in ground and above ground pool installations and repairs
Industrial Heat Treating
Assembly and Heat Treating
February 2002 – June 2002, Beamsville, ON
- Heat treated parts for austempering, stress relieving, normalizing and annealing including stainless steel brazing and hardening
- Worked with components from a variety of industries such as mining, gas and oil, railroad, automotive and aircraft
PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES and ASSOCIATIONS
- Failure Analysis Society (ASM International), Founding Member
- Professional Engineers of Ontario (PEO)
- ASM International
- Association for Iron & Steel Technology (AIST)
- The Minerals, Metals and Materials Society (TMS)
PUBLICATIONS / SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
- P. Okrutny, S. Liang, L. Meng and H. S. Zurob., Physically-based Model for Static Recrystallization in AZ31., Magnesium Technology 2014, pp.149-153.
- “Facile and effective purification of polymers produced by atom transfer radical polymerization via simple catalyst precipitation and microfiltration”, Dec. 2005, Macromolecules (39), pp 3-5.
- “Catalyst Solubility and Experimental Determination of Equilibrium Constants for Heterogeneous Atom Transfer Radical Polymerization”, March 2007, Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., (46) pp 2726–2734.
- “Review of Fuel Oil System Failures in Ontario” presented in at the International Materials Science and Technology conference in Montreal (MS&T-13) (2013).
NEWS / INSIGHTS / EVENTS