Xiangyu Li B.Eng., M.Sc., E.I.T.
Our Associates perform on-site investigations to determine origin and cause of complex losses. Their process: examine and collect evidence, take on-site photos, interview witnesses, conduct testing in our lab and analyze data to produce technical reports that are clear and concise.
SPECIALIZED PROFESSIONAL COMPETENCIES
- Soil Mechanics
- Soil Structures
- Rock Engineering
- Foundation Engineering
- Seepage and Drainage
- Steel Design
- Numerical Engineering Analysis, using FLAC3D, COMSOL Multiphysics, GeoStudio Suite, RocScience Suite, SAP 2000, ETABS, CSI Bridge, and Perform 3D
Master of Science, Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, 2017
Bachelor of Engineering, Civil (Structural) Engineering, Dalian University of Technology, Dalian, China, 2014
Senior Capstone Project: Design of Steel Frame High-Rise Residential Building—Individually completed architectural and structural layouts with detailed CAD drafts; designed beams, columns, slabs, footings, and staircases using hand calculations, Excel, MATLAB, and SAP 2000.
- Microtunneling Construction Means, Methods and Design, 2020
- Fundamentals of Risk in Geotechnical Engineering, 2019
- Geo-characterization Using the Cone Penetration Testing, 2019
- Earthquake design in Geotechnical Engineering, 2018
30 Forensic Engineering
Associate — Geotechnical
May 2017 – Present, Toronto, ON
- Provide geotechnical expertise and opinion for residential, commercial and industrial related losses
- Responsible for management of technical, financial, and administrative aspects of geotechnical forensic projects
University of Alberta
Graduate Research Assistant
September 2014 – May 2017, Edmonton, AB
- Conducted SAGD wellbore integrity research analysis, specifically focused on analyzing hydro-mechanical behavior of caprock (clay shale) layer and well cement.
- Proven ability to work within a small team (5 members) on the design and construction of the first and only hydraulic transient pulse-testing system at the University of Alberta, meeting the project’s deadline and staying well under budget (~$20K); coded a system-specified parameter-identification algorithm using MATLAB; analyzed cement hydraulic transient fluid flow model with COMSOL Multiphysics.
- Under the direction of a principal investigator, collaborated with research engineers to develop Alberta’s unique thermal expansion system, test its facilities, and optimize its design; completed two commercial oilfield projects for industry sponsors, drafted related documents, and joined online conferences.
- Maintained effective working relationships with oil and gas clients through monthly research progress reports and oral presentations.
Beifang Investigation, Design & Research Co.
Civil Engineer Intern—Hydraulic Engineering Department
January 2014 – August 2014, Tianjin, China
- Participated in a water infrastructure group for the structural design of a power-distribution station and a flood-prevention road using AutoCAD, Civil 3D, and SAP 2000 (project total investment $8M); assisted in preparing geotechnical reports for a concrete retaining wall and a telecommunication tower foundation using GeoStudio Suite.
- Worked closely with design team to develop detailed design-drawing packages; directly communicated with clients to help find efficient and effective engineering design solutions.
- Performed a 2-month on-site construction practice; assisted in the coordination of on-site construction activities; worked with contractors, government clients, and electrical and mechanical engineers to help track project tasks and make related design alterations.
Dalian Hongxin Construction Co. Ltd.
Project Coordinator Intern—On-site Supervision Team
May 2013 – September 2013
- Involved in university dormitory construction project; performed construction management; prepared technical and status reports, project specifications, schedules, and budgets.
- Interfaced with contractor team (50+ construction employees) to ensure delivery of full scope of services; conducted field inspection of the work performed, and ensured the work was completed in accordance with contractual terms and regulations.
awards and achievements
- University of Alberta Graduate Research Fellowship, 2014 – 2017
NEWS / INSIGHTS / EVENTS