Forensic Engineer, Materials
30 Forensic Engineering is one of Canada’s largest and most respected multi-disciplinary forensic firms. Our core team of 70 professional investigators, engineering technicians and support staff is enhanced through relationships with some of the top scientists, standard-makers and specialized consultants in North America serving a wide variety of industries including: Insurance, Manufacturing, Legal, Construction, Health Care, Commercial and Residential Property, Financial, Government, Hospitality, Mining, Renewable Energy and Transportation.
If you want to be a part of this fun, exciting, growing firm and contribute your skills, knowledge and abilities to our diverse and growing group of professionals, we are looking for you.
The Forensic Engineer (Associate Level) will report directly into Senior Vice President and Practice Lead of Product and Materials Failure Group. In addition, the engineer will collaborate with other experts to consult with clients; perform examinations, testing, and analysis; and prepare engineering reports and findings in a clear, concise, efficient and professional manner. The description and expectations for the role of Forensic Engineer (Associate Level) are as follows:
- Provide technical expertise within the Material Failure Group’s investigations, projects, and tasks, including the development and implementation of desk study and field investigations
- Collaborate with other groups on multi-disciplinary projects to provide clients with solutions to complex losses and problems
- Perform site examinations relating to loss/failure at residential, commercial, and industrial facilities
- Perform failure analysis on a variety of materials; metals, plastic, and composites including; fractography, materials characterization and testing of materials.
- Test operation of systems and equipment at site and in our in-house laboratory
- Review plans, specifications, and instructions to determine whether they meet relevant guidelines, codes, and other regulations
- Assist in developing and preparing engineering drawings and simulations from field measurements, sketches, engineering calculations, specification sheets, and other data
- Effectively communicate investigation and analysis findings to clients and others within boardrooms, during mediations, and trials
- Prepare technical reports based upon sound investigations and analysis
- Manage projects through the full project lifecycle, according to client-approved scopes of work, delivering high quality solutions within budget in a timely fashion
- Work towards becoming technically independent (i.e. final sign off) on all aspects of technical investigations
- Participate in client-facing business development activities to help grow both the firm and the group. This can include performing various types of presentations, attendance of industry seminars and events, preparation of articles, and participating in industry organizations
- Work towards providing expert testimony in court
- Demonstrate a commitment to the Strategic Plan and core values of the firm
- Perform additional duties as required
- Post graduate Engineering degree
- Experience in Materials or Metallurgical Engineering
- Experience with fractography, materials characterization, and testing required.
- A minimum of 3 – 5 years of experience (post-degree) working in a consulting engineering environment
- Currently registered or eligible for registration with the PEO
- Exposure to engineering in a consulting environment preferred
- A sound base in the application of engineering to problem solving
- Excellent technical writing skills are a must
- Ability to communicate effectively with clients
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle
Competencies and Attributes:
- Ability to manage projects through the full project lifecycle
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multitask
- Attention to detail
- Self-motivated and ability to self-manage
- Capacity for learning
- Curious and inquisitive mindset
- Capability to work independently and in a team
- Ability to communicate effectively – both oral and written
- Thorough and results-oriented
- Flexibility in working schedule
- Proficient in learning new computer applications
We are problem solvers. Together, our passionate and diverse professionals are relentless in their pursuit of the truth. We bring clarity to complex scientific problems to help our clients make decisions with confidence.
How we work
Our corporate philosophy is based on providing an unparalleled combination of technical excellence, powerful reporting and professional service. That, combined with our commitment to ethical practice, has quickly established us as the preeminent forensic firm in Canada servicing the legal and insurance industries. The firm is progressive in its management practices and is committed to implement systems and protocols that will support ongoing growth.
30 Forensic Engineering Inc. believes in providing an inclusive workplace where all individuals have the opportunity to succeed. We are committed to doing so by providing accessible employment practices. Contact a member of HR department if you need accommodation at any point in the application process.
Interested applicants are encouraged to submit their cover letter and resume through our applicant tracking system:
We thank all candidates for their interest however, only those qualified for the position will be contacted.