Intermediate Associate, Fire Investigations
30 Forensic Engineering is one of Canada’s largest and most respected multi-disciplinary forensic firms. Our core team of 70 professional investigators, engineering technicians and support staff serve a wide variety of industries including: Insurance, Manufacturing, Legal, Construction, Health Care, Commercial and Residential Property, Financial, Government, Hospitality, Mining, Renewable Energy and Transportation.
If you want to be a part of this fun, exciting, growing firm and contribute your skills, knowledge and abilities to our diverse and growing group of professionals, we are looking for you.
Based out of the Toronto office, the Intermediate Associate will report directly to the Practice Lead of the Fire and Electrical Team. In addition, collaborating with other subject matter experts to consult with clients; perform examinations, testing, and analysis; and prepare engineering reports and findings in a clear, concise, efficient and professional manner.
Role responsibilities will include (but are not limited to):
- Investigate fire and explosions at commercial, industrial and residential locations.
- Directly liaise with clients on a regular basis and provide updates throughout the investigation.
- Demonstrate a commitment to the Strategic Plan and core values of the firm and develop testing and analysis protocols.
- Participate with other -30- staff in business development, as well as the promotion of advancing market growth opportunities; attendance of industry seminars and events.
- Become technically independent (i.e. final sign off) on all aspects of technical investigations.
- Perform site examinations relating to loss/failure.
- Test operation of systems and equipment.
- Effectively communicate investigation and analysis findings to clients and others within boardrooms, during mediations, and trials.
- Review plans and specifications to determine whether they meet relevant guidelines, codes, and other regulations.
- Assist in developing and preparing engineering drawings and simulations from field measurements, sketches, engineering calculations, specification sheets, and other data.
- Prepare technical reports based upon sound investigations and analysis.
- Manage projects according to client-approved scopes of work, and deliver high quality reports on time and within budget.
- Work towards providing expert testimony in court.
- Mentoring, coaching and/or direct supervision of one or two Associates on investigation assignments; actively participate in Performance Management and Scorecard creation.
- Perform additional duties as required.
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience (post-degree) working as a fire investigator.
- Additional certifications sought for this role: P.Eng, CFEI, CVFI, CFI, WETT, G1, LP, GPI.
- Knowledge of regulatory codes and standards such as NFPA 921, 1033, and the Fire Code.
- Exposure to engineering or science in a consulting environment preferred to solve complex problems.
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle.
- Excellent technical writing skills are a must.
- Ability to communicate effectively with clients.
- Attend the office 6/8 times a month.
Competencies and Attributes:
- Ability to manage projects.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritize and multitask.
- Self-motivated and ability to self-manage.
- Capacity for learning.
- Capability to work independently and in a team.
- Ability to communicate effectively – both oral and written.
- Proficient in learning new computer applications.
- Thorough and results-oriented.
How We Work:
Our corporate philosophy is based on providing an unparalleled combination of technical excellence, powerful reporting, and professional service. That, combined with our commitment to ethical practice, has quickly established us as the preeminent forensic engineering firm in Canada, servicing the legal and insurance industries. The firm is progressive in its management practices and is committed to implementing systems and protocols that will support ongoing growth.
What We Offer:
- Competitive salary that is line with our defined pay structure
- Opportunity to earn annual bonus
- Flexible hours
- Hybrid remote work along with a variety of virtual and in-person events to help drive business and also connect with your colleagues
- Extended Health & Dental from day one
- Employee and Family Assistance Program (for employee and dependents)
- PTO – Vacation & Personal Days
- Learning & Development
- Coverage of relevant certifications
- Wellness subsidy
We are problem solvers. Together, our passionate and diverse professionals are relentless in their pursuit of the truth. We bring clarity to complex scientific problems to help our clients make decisions with confidence.
30 Forensic Engineering is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an accessible recruitment process. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of gender identity or expression, race, ethnic origin, creed, place of origin, age, sex, marital status, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, and any other category protected by law. Upon request we will provide accommodation for applicants with disabilities.
We believe in diversity and inclusivity and that is why our interview process is designed for a positive candidate experience and to ensure every candidate is evaluated equally. All applications will be reviewed from our Talent Team and the successful candidate(s) will go through the following recruitment process:
- Recruiter Phone Interview
- Hiring Manager(s) Interview
- Team Interview
Interested applicants are encouraged to apply through our applicant tracking system – https://30fe.bamboohr.com/careers/91
We thank all candidates for their interest however, only those qualified for the position will be contacted