-30- Forensic Engineering (30fe.com), based in Toronto, has been serving the insurance and legal industries for 15 years and is one of Canada’s largest and most respected multi-disciplinary forensic firms. Our core team of 60+ professional investigators is enhanced through relationships with some of the top scientists, standard-makers and specialized consultants in North America. We provide world-class engineering and consulting expertise in Civil/Structural, Geotechnical and Mining, Construction Claims, Personal Injury and Collision Reconstruction, Electrical and Renewable Energy, Environmental Health and Safety, Remediation, Materials Failure/HVAC, and Fire and Explosion investigations.
Our corporate philosophy is based on providing an unparalleled combination of technical excellence, powerful reporting, and professional service. That, combined with our commitment to ethical practice, has quickly established us as one of the most reputable forensic firms servicing the legal and insurance industries internationally.
Are you looking for an exciting opportunity to work on diverse, challenging, and engaging projects, and to fast track your career? If you want to be a part of this growing firm and contribute your skills, knowledge, and abilities to our diverse and growing group of professionals, then we are looking for you.
The Principal Geotechnical Engineer will report directly into the Vice President of Consulting, collaborating with other subject matter experts to consult with clients; perform examinations, testing, and analysis; and prepare engineering reports and findings in a clear, concise, efficient and professional manner.
Role responsibilities will include (but are not limited to):
- Provide technical leadership in geotechnical-related investigations, projects, and tasks, on both a national and international scale including the development and implementation of desk study and field investigations
- Participate with other -30- Forensic Engineering staff in business development, as well as the promotion of advancing market growth opportunities
- Investigate geotechnical, mining and heavy civil infrastructure failures with a specific focus on foundations slopes, excavations and cuts, earth retaining systems and contamination.
- Perform site examinations relating to loss/failure
- Effectively communicate investigation and analysis findings to clients and others within boardrooms, during mediations, and trials
- Review plans and specifications to determine whether they meet relevant guidelines, codes, and other regulations
- Assist in developing and preparing engineering drawings and simulations from field measurements, sketches, engineering calculations, specification sheets, and other data
- Prepare technical reports based upon sound investigations and analysis
- Manage projects according to client-approved scopes of work, and deliver high-quality reports on time and within budget
- Work towards providing expert testimony in court
- Mentoring and/or direction of more junior staff on investigation assignments
- Start to develop and grow existing client base
- Participation in industry events and seminars
- Develop an understanding of the core values of the firm and familiarization with the strategic plan
- Perform additional duties as required
- Masters or Ph.D. in Geotechnical Engineering
- A minimum of 15 years of experience (post-degree) working in a consulting engineering environment at a senior project management level with exposure to projects on an international scale
- Currently registered or eligible for registration with the PEO
- Exposure to engineering in a consulting environment preferred
- Heavy civil infrastructure, mining, and land development experience
- A sound basis in the application of geotechnical engineering (earth retaining systems, foundations, excavations, slopes) to problem-solving. Ideally, the successful candidate will have exposure to tailings dam design and build, soil solidification, engineering containment and subsurface barriers.
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle
- Excellent technical writing skills are a must
- Ability to communicate effectively with clients
- Good presentation skills are an asset
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Also required is fluency in multiple languages due to the international nature of this role
Competencies and Attributes:
- Ability to manage projects
- Strong organizational skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize and multitask
- Self-motivated and ability to self-manage
- Capacity for learning
- Capability to work independently and in a team
- Ability to communicate effectively – both oral and written
- Proficient in learning new computer applications
- Thorough and results-oriented
- Excellent teamwork skills
Interested applicants are encouraged to submit their cover letter and resume through our online application process. We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those qualified for the position will be contacted.