Senior Geotechnical Engineer
30 Forensic Engineering is one of Canada’s largest and most respected multi-disciplinary forensic firms. Our core team of 70 professional investigators, engineering technicians and support staff is enhanced through relationships with some of the top scientists, standard-makers and specialized consultants in North America serving a wide variety of industries including: Insurance, Manufacturing, Legal, Construction, Health Care, Commercial and Residential Property, Financial, Government, Hospitality, Mining, Renewable Energy and Transportation.
If you want to be a part of this fun, exciting, growing firm and contribute your skills, knowledge, and abilities to our diverse and growing group of professionals, we are looking for you.
The Geotechnical Engineer will report directly into the Geotechnical and Mining Practice Lead, collaborating with other subject matter experts to consult with clients; perform examinations, testing, and analysis; and prepare engineering reports and findings in a clear, concise, efficient, and professional manner.
Role responsibilities will include (but are not limited to):
- Provide services in geotechnical-related investigations of losses /failures, projects, and tasks, including the development and implementation of desk studies, numerical analyses, site examinations and field investigations
- Support senior staff in business development, as well as the promotion of advancing market growth opportunities
- Participate in multidisciplinary investigations with experts of other disciplines (structural, transportation, environmental etc.).
- Review plans and specifications to determine whether they meet relevant guidelines, codes, and other regulations
- Prepare field investigation plans including intrusive and non-intrusive investigation methods. Supervise drilling and field testing (CPT, SPT etc.), identify and classify soils and prepare borehole logs, determine geotechnical properties from field and laboratory tests.
- Perform engineering calculations and numerical analyses to identify causes and contributing factors to failures,
- Perform construction risk assessments including review of design specifications and drawings, construction methods and schedules and construction monitoring.
- Prepare technical reports based upon sound investigations and analysis
- Manage projects according to client-approved scopes of work, and deliver high quality reports on time and within budget
- Work towards providing expert testimony in court
- Start to develop and grow existing client base
- Participation in industry events and seminars
- Develop an understanding of the core values of the firm and familiarization with the strategic plan
- Perform additional duties as required
- Advanced degree (Ph. D or M.Sc.) in Geotechnical Engineering
- A minimum of 10 years of experience (post-degree) working in a consulting engineering environment including heavy civil infrastructure projects in the BC area
- Experience in geotechnical seismic analysis and design, geotechnical field investigations and testing and in laboratory testing methods.
- A sound base in the application of geotechnical engineering to problem solving
- EGBC P. Eng. License
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle
- Available for travelling to investigation sites in remote locations
- Excellent technical writing skills are a must
- Ability to communicate effectively with clients
- Good presentation skills are an asset
- Proficient in geotechnical numerical analyses with commercial software packages for static and seismic deformation analyses, slope stability, pile foundation, shoring, settlements etc.
- Work from the 30FE office 6/8 times per month
Competencies and Attributes:
- Ability to manage projects
- Strong organizational skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize and multitask
- Self-motivated and ability to self-manage
- Capacity for learning
- Capability to work independently and in a team
- Ability to communicate effectively – both oral and written
- Proficient in learning new computer applications
- Thorough and results-oriented
- Excellent teamwork skills
What we offer:
• Competitive salary that is line with our defined pay structure
• Opportunity to earn annual bonus
• Flexible hours
• Hybrid remote work along with a variety of virtual and in-person events to help drive business and also connect with your colleagues
• Extended Health & Dental from day one
• Employee and Family Assistance Program (for employee and dependents)
• PTO – Vacation & Personal Days
• Learning & Development
• Coverage of relevant certifications
• Wellness subsidy
We are problem solvers. Together, our passionate and diverse professionals are relentless in their pursuit of the truth. We bring clarity to complex scientific problems to help our clients make decisions with confidence.
How we work:
Our corporate philosophy is based on providing an unparalleled combination of technical excellence, powerful reporting, and professional service. That, combined with our commitment to ethical practice, has quickly established us as the preeminent forensic firm in Canada servicing the legal and insurance industries. The firm is progressive in its management practices and is committed to implement systems and protocols that will support ongoing growth.
30 Forensic Engineering is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an accessible recruitment process. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of gender identity or expression, race, ethnic origin, creed, place of origin, age, sex, marital status, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, and any other category protected by law. Upon request we will provide accommodation for applicants with disabilities.
We believe in diversity and inclusivity and that is why our interview process is designed for a positive candidate experience and to ensure every candidate is evaluated equally. All applications will be reviewed from our Talent Team and the successful candidate(s) will go through the following recruitment process:
- Recruiter Phone Interview
- Hiring Manager(s) Interview
- Team Interview
Interested applicants are encouraged to apply through our applicant tracking system
We thank all candidates for their interest however, only those qualified for the position will be contacted