Jeff Reitsma MBA, PMP, P.Eng.
Jeff Reitsma is a professional engineer and project manager with 15 years of experience in the engineering consulting and construction industries. Jeff specializes in project management of multidisciplinary complex loss investigations and reconstruction projects and has led teams for some of the biggest firms in Canada, including Black and Veatch, AECOM and Stantec Consulting. He has overseen municipal capital infrastructure projects from conception to completion and designed and directed environmental assessment works involving indoor air quality, chemical engineering, mould, asbestos, smoke and soot and fire and flood impact mapping.
In his role as Practice Lead for the Remediation group at -30- Forensic Engineering, Jeff provides leadership to multidisciplinary engineering teams and manages both small scale forensic investigations and large scale remediation projects. Jeff’s commitment to collaboration, mentorship and project management best practices allow him to continually build highly-effective project teams and deliver innovative solutions to clients.
SPECIALIZED PROFESSIONAL COMPETENCIES
- Project Management
- Construction Contract Administration
- Project Scheduling and Financial Controls
- Multi-disciplinary Design Coordination and Delivery
- Civil Infrastructure Analysis and Design
- Air Quality and Odour Control
- Environmental Hazards, Health & Safety
- Construction and Demolition Sequencing
- Industrial Ventilation and HVAC
- Chemical and Process Engineering
- Permits & Approvals
Master of Business Administration (With Distinction), University of Adelaide, 2003
Bachelor of Applied Sciences (Honours), University of Waterloo, 2000
- B&V Project Management Essentials, B&V, Kansas City, 2014
- Joint Health & Safety Committee Member Certification, OSG, Toronto, 2014
- B&V Engineering Management Essentials, B&V, Kansas City, 2012
- Project Management for Construction, University of Toronto SCS, Toronto, 2010
- Essentials of Project Management, University of Toronto SCS, Toronto, 2009
- Technical & Proposal Writing, IWCC, Markham, 2008
- Comprehensive Project Management, Procept, Markham, 2008
-30- Forensic Engineering
Remediation and Hazardous Materials Group
December 2014 – Present, Toronto, ON
- Provide project technical leadership, senior review and program management services as leader of the Remediation & Hazardous Materials Group on environmental, health & safety, CAT loss, multi-disciplinary, large-scale and complex loss and reconstruction projects. Responsibilities include:
- Leadership of multi-discipline engineering teams
- Direction of environmental assessment works including indoor air quality, mould, asbestos, smoke & soot, and fire & flood impact mapping
- Management of quality, scope, budgets and schedule
- Oversight of environmental abatement & remedial construction contractors
- Coordination with internal practice leads to help manage talent development and workload
- Provision of chemical engineering expertise in support of legal dispute files
- Provision of project and construction management expertise across client service delivery groups
Black & Veatch Canada
November 2010 – November 2014, Markham, ON
- Provided full-range of project and engineering management services for projects ranging from small investigations and studies through to complex multidisciplinary municipal capital infrastructure upgrades.
- Stewarded projects through life cycle, including management aspects such as business development and client relationship management, development of project budgets and schedules, management of contractual, schedule, and financial issues and general conformance with client and internal QA/QC requirements. Technical execution aspects included leadership of internal team including coordination of workloads and design activities and incorporation of inputs from external sub-consultants and specialty service providers.
- Lead project reviews of constructability, health and safety, designated substances & hazardous materials, operations and maintenance, risk, and procurement within broader best-practices project management framework.
AECOM Canada (formerly EarthTech Canada)
Project Manager – Environmental & Air Quality Group
December 2003 – October 2014, Markham, ON
- Provided project management services for small- and medium-sized environmental and air quality projects, and engineering management leadership on large municipal capital infrastructure upgrades. Project responsibilities included oversight of scope, budget and schedules, satisfaction of client invoicing, progress- and earned-value-reporting requirements.
- Design & assessment work within air quality team (indoor air quality, odour control, demolition and process-mechanical) included on-site investigation, testing and data gathering, calculations, drawings and specifications as well as identifying and obtaining required permits and approvals.
May 2000 – January 2002, Mississauga, ON
- Supported small scale industrial ventilation and air quality projects by executing site assessments (mould & IAQ assessments), design calculations and sketches, writing reports, undertaking submittal of permits and approvals (Ontario Air & Noise, NPRI, TRCA Development, municipal building permits) and leading air contaminant dispersion modelling (Aermod, SCREEN, BPIP, Reg346) for commercial and industrial clients.
professional societies and associations
- Ontario Society for Professional Engineers (OPSE), Member
- Professional Engineers of Ontario (PEO), Member
- Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA), Member
- Engineers and Geoscientists of British Columbia, Member
- Project Management Institute (PMI), Member
- PMI Construction Community of Practice, Member
AWARDS AND ACHIEVMENTS
- -30- Forensic Engineering 2016 Outstanding Leadership Award
- -30- Forensic Engineering 2016 Outstanding Innovation Award (shared with J. Burns, S. d’Obrenan, P. Robalino, R. Parkinson)
- EarthTech 2007 President’s Award for Technical Excellence—Facilities (Gold)—OPG Darlington Dry Storage Facility
PUBLICATIONS / SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
- “Project Management Boot Camp”, Subject Matter Expert & Lead Instructor, GK University (Internal), June – August 2016.
- “Effective Communications & Soft Skills Workshop”, Subject Matter Expert & Panel Member, WEAO Young Professionals, Ryerson University, January 2015.
- “Foundations of Project Management”, Primary Technical Lead, B&V Water College (United Kingdom & Middle East), August – November 2014 (various engagements).
- “Foundations of Project Management”, Subject Matter Expert – Integration, Quality, Procurement & Stakeholder Management, B&V Water College (Americas), January 2013 – November 2014 (various engagements).
- Carciumaru, A., Reitsma, J., “Clarkson WWTP - Odour Control System Design and Installation”, In: WEAO Technical Symposium, April 2007.
- Allan, W., Reitsma, J., “Odor Control System for Nashville Central WWTP Bio-solids Handling Facility”, In: WEF Odors and Air Emissions Conference, April 2008.
- Reitsma, J., “Multi-disciplinary Approach to Remediation”, In: Insurance People, November 2016.
- Barrett, M., Reitsma, J., “Project Management in Large Loss Property Claims”, In: PLRB Claims Conference, March 2017.
NEWS / INSIGHTS / EVENTS